Avarakka- arachivita sambar
Toor dal /Moong dal-1 cup
Tamarind juice-2 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Spices for the grinding
Tuwar dal-2 tbsp
Grated coconut-5 tbsp
Fenugreek seeds – 1/4 tsp
For the Tempering/Tadka:
Red chillies -4
- Wash and clean the toor dal or moong dal, add 1:2 ratio of water.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, hing and 2 garlic cloves
- Cook it in a pressure cooker For the 3 to 5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Once they spluttered, add onions or shallots, green chillies and sauté it
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, sambar powder, hing and salt cook it until oil floats out.
- Add cooked dal and tamarind juice mix it well and cook it For the 12 mins in a low flame.
- Add the ground paste and mix it well, cook for few mins in a slow flame.
- Add Fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot.