Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala Origin
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala – is a popular Punjabi dish in Pakistani and Indian cuisine.Chana masala main ingredient is chickpeas called chana (Channa) in hindi. Chana masala is fairly dry and spicy with a sour citrus note. Many variations can be made with chickpes curry for example aloo chole is made with chickepeas and potatoes in Pakistani cuisine. Similar recipe is prepared with chicken in Lahore called murgh cholay. In India, chana masala is often eaten with a type of fried bread and is known as chole bhature.
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala – Spices and Cooking method.
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala is very simple to prepare and healthy recipe.This is my version of cooking.There are two methods,one is with the chana masala or with the dry roast spices separately.The chickpeas is soaked overnight and pressure cooked. Then the chickpeas is cooked along with onion, chopped tomatoes, coriander seed, garlic, chillies, ginger, dried mango powder, crushed pomegranate seed (anardana) and garam masala.
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala – Nutritional health benefits
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala – Chickpeas – chana , are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber.Soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels.insoluble fiber helps to prevent digestive disorders.Chickpeas – chana are a good source of protein.Chickpeas can boost your energy because of its high iron content.Chickpeas – chana contains the significant amounts of folate and magnesium.Folate lowers the levels of the amino acid, homocysteine and strengthens the blood vessels and lower the risk of heart attack Due to high fiber content and low GI, chickpeas – chana are excellent for weight loss diets.
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala – Serving method
Chana Masala – Punjabi Chole Masala is excellent side dish for roti,poori or Batura. Chana masala can be served as main course either for lunch or dinner with roti, batura or poori. In south India similar curry prepared with chickpeas for rice, idli or dosa. Variations can be made by adding potatoes to the curry. Chana masala with bhatura is a great dish for family gatherings,friends that anyone can love it. Try this healthy dish and enjoy.
Chickpeas – 250gms
Salt to taste
For the Tempering / Tadka:
Cinnamon bark-3 pieces
For the Sauté:
Green chillies-2 medium
Garlic – 1/2 tsp. paste
Ginger – 1/2 tsp. paste
Tomatoes- 2 medium (make it puree)
Turmeric – 1/2tsp
Garam masala-1/2 tsp
Amchur powder-1/2 tsp
Pomogrante powder-1/2 tsp
Fresh Coriander – 1/3 bunches
- Soak the chana overnight, pressure cook and keep it aside.
- Heat the oil ina pan, add cumin seeds, cloves, cinnamon, cardamom and curry leaves
- Once they spultter add chopped onions and green chillies and sauté it
- Add ginger garlic paste when onion turns golden brown. Sprinkle little water if the mixture sticks or dries until it softening to a mash
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the boiled chana and mix it well.
- Add the spices or chana masala and stir it well.
- Add water and cover it on and cook it in the medium flame for 20 mins.
- Once the oil separates from the masala, Garnish it with coriander leaves,onion and lemon.
- Serve it hot with rice or roti’s