Chow chow/chayote -250 grams
Toor dal /Moong dal-1 cup
Tamarind juice-2 cup
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder-1/4 tsp
Sambar powder-1 tsp
For the Tempering/Tadka:
Urad dal-1/4 tsp
Cumin seeds-1/4 tsp
Red chillies -4
Fenugreek seeds-1 pinch
- Wash the toor dal or moong dal, add 1:2 ratio of water.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin seeds, hing and 2 garlic cloves
- Cook it in a pressure cooker for 3 to 5 whistles.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, urad dal, red chillies and curry leaves.
- Once they spluttered, add onions or shallots, green chillies and sauté it
- Add tomatoes, turmeric powder, sambar powder, hing, salt and cook it until oil floats out.
- Add chopped chow chow cubes sauté it for 5 min and add cooked dal.
- Add tamarind juice, mix it well and cook it for 12 mins in a low flame.
- Add Fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot.