Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – Origin
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – Biryani is a persian word and originated from Persia brought to India by Mughal.It is one of the famous dish in Mughal Emperors.Biryani is a special rice dish that cooked with meat or vegetables.Biryani is very popular dish in South Asian cuisine. Chettinad biryani is prepared using aromatic spices in south Indian style.
Types of Biryani – Chicken Biryani
Chicken Biryani – There are many types of biryani’s,the process of cooking makes the difference.I have done 28 types of biryani’s you can watch the recipe videos in my site.From my view there are two methods,rice and meat cooked separately with spices or rice and meat cooked together with spices.The other combination involves marination of meat.In Middle east the meat is cooked in curry,then fried and added to the biryani (Al kabsa, Carrot Rice).In North Indian method, yogurt,nuts,saffron can be used. In south Indian method yogurt,saffron, coconut, tomatoes and aromatic spices can be used. Hyderabadi Biryani from Nizam’s kitchen takes the unique position all the time.In which the marinated meat cooked with rice in slow cooking process called dum biryani.
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – Spices and Cooking method
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani recipe is my version of cooking. Chetinad biryani prepared using aromatic spices dry roasted , powdered and cooked with chicken.Chicken pressure cooked with onion, ginger, garlic, tomatoes and spices.red chillies,curry leaves, ginger garlic cubes,onion and tomato gravy. Then cooked with rice in slow cooking process. The slow cooking process helps the rice to blend with chicken and the flavor of spices. You can feel the spicy taste which is unique to chettinad.Instead of water coconut milk can be used to give richness to the dish.
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – Nutritional health benefits
Chicken Biryani – Chicken is known to be an excellent source of protein.These low-fat proteins also play an important role in assisting overweight people in losing weight quickly. As proteins are also known as the building blocks of muscles,chicken is also a great source if you’re looking for muscle build-up.It contains phosphorus and calcium which helps in strengthening our teeth and bones. It contains Vitamin B6 that lowers your homocysteine level, and keeps heart healthy. It has minerals that strengthens your immune system.chicken is rich in selenium.Chicken is rich in vitamin B3 (Niacin), a vitamin that is essential for cancer protection.Eating chicken will keep energy levels high while metabolism-burning calories can manage to keep you at a healthy weight.
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – Serving method
Chicken Biryani – Chettinad Chicken Biryani – is the perfect dish for family gatherings and parties. Chettinad Chicken Biryani can be served as the main course either for lunch or dinner. Raita, dhai chutney, korma, brinjal curry, egg and salad are served with chicken biryani as a side dish. Chettinad chicken biryani is an excellent dish have its own flavor and unique taste. Try it and enjoy.
Seeraga Samba Rice- 1kg
Chicken – 1kg
Onion -4 medium
Ginger Garlic Chopped -2tbsp
Tomato – 4
Garlic paste – 2tbsp
Biryani Powder – 2tbsp
Red Chilli Powder-1/2tsp
Salt to taste
For Tempering /Taddka
- Dry roast all the spices for grinding and make a fine biryani powder.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add Cinnamon, bay leaves,cloves, cardmom and fennel seeds.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic green chillies and onions and fry it
- untill it turns to golden brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and allow it to boil for few mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook till it turns to tender.
- When the oil separates, floats on the top and the gravy is thick,add the biryani powder, salt, turmeric and chilli powder(optional)and mix it well.
- Add the chicken pieces and mix it with the masala cook for few mins.
- Cover it and pressure cook for 3 whistles in a slow flame.
- Transfer the gravy to a electric cooker (optional), add rice and water(1:2 ratio).
- Add chopped coriander leaves,lemon juice,mix it well and cook it (3 whistles in pressure cooker.)
- Chettinad chicken biryani is ready.Serve it hot with raita,salad or brinjal curry.