Chicken Korma – Origin
Chicken Recipe – Chicken Korma – is very different dish based on South Indian style of cooking specially from Tamil and Kerala cuisines. This is my version of cooking , the first part includes tamil cuisine based aromatic spices dry roasted, powdered and added to chicken. The second part of the recipe includes coconut paste from the touch of Kerala cuisine added to the curry.Chicken Korma has its unique texture and taste.
Chicken Korma – Spices and cooking method
Chicken Recipe – Chicken Korma – boneless chicken pieces are used. Vegetable oil is preferred. Chicken pieces cooked in onion tomato gravy with the spices in slow cooking process. The special ingredient is coconut,cumin,green chillies and fennel seeds , added to the blender, pasted and added to the curry enhance the taste. Cashews can be used to give richness to the dish. Chicken Korma is a healthy dish to have once in a while.
Chicken Korma – Nutritional health benefits
Chicken Recipe – Chicken Korma – Chicken is known to be an excellent source of protein.These low-fat proteins helps in losing weight quickly.It contains phosphorus and calcium which helps in strengthening our teeth and bones. It contains Vitamin B6 that lowers your homocysteine level, and keeps heart healthy. It has minerals that strengthens your immune system.chicken is rich in selenium.Chicken is rich in vitamin B3 (Niacin), a vitamin that is essential for cancer protection.Eating chicken will keep energy levels high while metabolism-burning calories can manage to keep you at a healthy weight.Onion, tomato ,ginger,garlic, shallots, peppercorns, cumin, curry leaves have more medicinal properties and good for health.Coconuts are highly nutritious and rich in fibre, vitamins C, E, B1, B3, B5 and B6 and minerals including iron, selenium, sodium, calcium, magnesium and phosphorous.it protects the body from infections and viruses thereby improves digestion and boost energy quickly.it can be used in moderation 2 times in a week.
Chicken Korma – Serving method
Chicken Recipe – Chicken Korma – is perfect dish for lunch or dinner. Chicken Korma served as a main course for family gatherings, friends, parties or Sunday meal. This excellent dish can go well with rice, biryani, roti, naan, paratha, phulka, idli or dosa. Chicken Korma is must try dish that anyone can do in a quick time.Easy dish but delicious in taste.
Boneless Chicken -1kg
Turmeric powder-1 tsp
Salt to taste
For the Tempering / Tadka:
Cinnamon bark-3 pieces
Curry leaves-2 spring
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
For the Sauté:
Green chillies-2 medium
Tomatoes- 2 medium (make it puree)
Curry leaves-2 sprig
For the coconut masala:
Fennel seeds -2tbsp
Green chillies- 4 medium
Fresh Coriander — 1/3 bunches
- Dry roast the spices and make a fine powder and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, fennel seeds and curry leaves.
- Add chopped onions and green chillies and sauté it
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry it.
- Add tomato puree and the curry powder with turmeric and the salt.
- Allow it to cook for few mins in a medium flame.
- When the oil floats on the top, add the chicken pieces and mix it well
- Cover it and cook it for the 5 mins in a low flame.
- Add water and cook it for 10 mins in a low flame.
- Add coconut,cumin, fennel and green chillies to a blender and make a fine paste
- Add it to the chicken curry and mix it well.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve it hot with rice or roti.