Chicken Recipes – Chicken salna is the famous authentic dish in southern part of TamilNadu,specially Madurai-temple city. The way of cooking is very different and delicious in taste.You can get this dish almost in all restaurants, served with paratha(parotta).Chicken Salna and paratha is the main dish in the menu list in all parts of Taml Nadu.This video shows my version of cooking chicken salna. Chicken is cooked in 3 parts with 3 different spices. Chicken cooked with dry roasted aromatic spices chilli,coriander and cumin mixture for 10 mins,then its cooked with tomato, onion puree for 10 mins and finally with Coconut, peanut paste for 10 mins. Slow cooking process brings out the more juicy, tender and soft chicken curry..
Chicken recipes – Chicken Salna curry is known to be an excellent source of protein.These low-fat proteins also play an important role in assisting overweight people in losing weight quickly. As proteins are also known as the building blocks of muscles,chicken is also a great source if you’re looking for muscle build-up.It contains phosphorus and calcium which helps in strengthening our teeth and bones. It contains Vitamin B6 that lowers your homocysteine level, and keeps heart healthy. It has minerals that strengthens your immune system.chicken is rich in selenium.Chicken is rich in vitamin B3 (Niacin), a vitamin that is essential for cancer protection.Eating chicken will keep energy levels high while metabolism-burning calories can manage to keep you at a healthy weight.
Chicken Recipes – Chicken Salna curry is very different ,needs lot of preparation and more time. But its worth the taste. Chicken Salna curry can be served as a main course for dinner with roti, naan, phulka or paratha.
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Ginger garlic paste-1tbsp
Salt to taste
For the tadka / Tempering:
Fennel seeds-1/2 tsp
Bay leaves -2
For the Salna masala:
For the Curry Powder- Spices :
Cumin seeds-2 tsp
Curry leaves-2 sprigs
For the Coconut Masala
Poppy seeds-4 tbsp
- Dry roast the spices for the curry powder, add it to a blender, make a fine powder and keep aside.
- Soak the almonds and the poppy seeds overnight and make a fine paste with coconut, peanuts and fennel seeds.
- Heat oil in a pan, saute the tomatoes, onions and make a fine paste and keep it seperately (salna masala ).
- Heat oil in a pan, add tempering ingredients and sauté it.
- Once they done, add chopped onions, green chillies and cook it for few mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry it.
- Add the chicken pieces,turmeric, salt and curry powder.
- Mix it well, add little amount of water,cover it and cook for 20 mins in a medium flame.
- Add the prepared salna masala, coconut masala and cook for 15 mins in a medium flame.
- when the oil separates, floats on the top and the gravy is thick, garnish it with coriander leaves.
- Serve it hot with rice or roti ,paratha,naan or phulka.