Masala poori is traditional gujarathi dish. pooris are made from whole wheat flour(atta), or all purpose flour maida. Gujarathis’ made poori by adding spices and salt to the dough.The dough flattened round and fried in the oil.
Whole wheat flour/All purpose flour-500gms
Chilli powder-1/2 tsp
coriander powder-1/2 tsp
cumin powder-1/4 tsp
salt to taste
- Take the flour in a large mixing bowl add all spices and add normal water.
- Add less water at a time and start to mix the flour to form the dough.
- We need the dough to be soft, so add less water at a time.
- Instead of water, you can also use yoghurt or milk. This makes pooris really soft.
- To make a smooth, soft dough. Knead well for 8-10 minutes, adding a little flour if the dough is too sticky.
- Continue the process till you get the right consistency of the dough.
- Once you’ve got the dough to the right consistency, cover with a damp cloth and keep it aside for 15 mins.
- Divide the dough into small portions of evenly size.
- Roll these portions into balls between your hands till they are smooth and without cracks.
- Very lightly flour a rolling board and roll each ball into a thick circle.
- Heat the oil for the deep frying in a thick-bottomed flat pan on a medium flame.
- Deep fry the Pooris one at a time, pressing very gently on each side. This will help the Poori to puff up.
- Fry the poori till it turns to golden colour. Drain on paper towels and serve hot.