Mutton Biryani – Biryani is a persian word and originated from Persia brought to India by Mughal.It is one of the famous dish in Mughal Emperors.Biryani is a special rice dish that cooked with meat or vegetables.For a non-vegetarian biryani, the main ingredient is the meat—beef, chicken, goat, lamb, fish or prawn. The dish may be served with Raita, korma, curry, brinjal curry, boiled egg and salad. For a vegetarian biryani meat can be replaced by mixed vegetables.Biryani is very popular dish in South Asian cuisine.
Mutton Biryani – There are many types of biryani’s,the process of cooking makes the difference.I have done 15 types of biryani’s you can watch the recipe videos in my site.From my view there are two methods,rice and meat cooked separately with spices or rice and meat cooked together with spices.The other combination involves marination of meat.In Middle east the meat is cooked in curry,then fried and added to the biryani (Al kabsa, Carrot Rice).In North Indian method, yogurt,nuts,saffron can be used. In south Indian method yogurt,saffron, coconut, tomatoes and aromatic spices can be used. Hyderabadi Biryani from Nizam’s kitchen takes the unique position all the time.In which the marinated meat cooked with rice in slow cooking process called dum biryani. The slow cooking process helps rice to blend with meat and the flavor of spices.
Mutton Biryani – is my version of cooking south indian style using electric cooker method. In mutton biryani, mutton pieces pressure cooked in onion tomato gravy with all aromatic spices and yogurt. Then curry is cooked with rice in electric cooker.This method is very simple and quick method, but delicious in taste.
Mutton Biryani – Mutton is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Niacin, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc and Copper, and a very good source of Protein, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Selenium.This food is very high in Cholesterol. B12 which is essential for the body’s metabolic reactions.Lamb is also nature’s best source for an amino acid called carnitine,which is needed to generate energy from fatty acids. Mutton is very healthy food when it is compared to other meats.
Mutton biryani is the perfect dish for family gatherings and parties. Mutton Biryani can be served as the main course either for lunch or dinner. Raita, dhai chutney, korma, brinjal curry, egg and salad are served with mutton biryani as a side dish. This is an excellent dish that anyone can love it. Try it and enjoy.
Basmati Rice-1/2 Kg
Salt to taste
For the Tempering / Tadka:
Cinnamon bark-3 pieces
Briyani powder:2 tbsp
For the Sauté:
Green chillies-4 medium
Tomatoes- 2 medium (make it puree)
Ginger garlic paste-2tsp
Fresh Coriander – 1/3 bunches
Mint leaves-1/2 bunches
- Heat ghee in a pan, add washed basmati rice and fry it nicely for 2 to 3 mins. keep it aside.(optional)
- Heat ghee/oil in a pressure cooker; add cloves, cinnamon,aniseed, cardamom and bay leaves.
- Add chopped onions,ginger,garlic and sauté it
- Add crushed green chillies, coriander, mint leaves and cook it for few mins.
- Add ginger garlic paste and stir it well.
- Add tomato puree, turmeric powder, biryani powder and the salt, cook it for 7 mins.
- When the oil floats on the top and the gravy is thick, add the mutton pieces and mix it well.
- Pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
- Add the basmati rice in the electric cooker, add the mutton curry and the water (Water ratio 1:2- including the mixture prepared).
- Add lemon juice, chopped coriander, mint leaves and stir it well.
- Serve it hot with raita, egg, salad or korma.