Chettinad Mutton Chukka Recipe – Origin
Mutton Recipes – Mutton Chukka – chukka is prepared using South Indian Chettinad style. Mutton chukka is one of the popular dish in chettinad cuisine. I have done nearly 16 types of chukka recipes with different combinations – chicken, mutton, prawn, fish, potato, cauliflower, egg and mushroom. you can watch these recipe videos in my site. Chettinad is famous for variety of spices that are freshly ground powders or masalas. Especially for non-vegetarian foods, it is one of the spicest most aromatic cuisine.
Chettinad Mutton Chukka Recipe – Spices and cooking method
Mutton Recipes – Mutton Chukka – The cooking method is based on South Indian chettinad cuisines.Usually the chukka prepared using mutton. I have done four types of dishes, chukka with bone and chukka with boneless,chukka biryani, chukka curry with potatoes and chicken. you can watch these recipe videos in my site.This is my version of cooking, in the first part mutton pieces cooked with fennel, curry leaves, red chillies, onion tomato, ginger garlic gravy. Then the dry roasted spices powdered, added to the mutton and pressure cooked. The second part of the recipe includes the curry cooked in the slow process till the gravy is thick. it makes the mutton very juicy, tender and well coated with spices.The texture and taste of the recipe is great.
Chettinad Mutton Chukka Recipe- Nutritional health benefits
Mutton Recipes – Mutton Chukka – Mutton is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Niacin, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc and Copper, and a very good source of Protein, Riboflavin, Vitamin B12 and Selenium.This food is very high in Cholesterol.B12 which is essential for the body’s metabolic reactions.Lamb is also nature’s best source for an amino acid called carnitine,which is needed to generate energy from fatty acids. Mutton is very healthy food when it is compared to other meats.Onion, tomato ,ginger,garlic, peppercorns, cumin, curry leaves have more medicinal properties and good for health.
Chettinad Mutton Chukka Recipe – Serving method
Mutton Recipes – Mutton Chukka – is perfect dish either for lunch or dinner. Mutton Chukka served as a side dish with the meal for family gatherings, friends, parties or Sunday meal. This excellent dish can go well with rice, biryani, roti, naan, paratha, phulka, idli or dosa. Mutton Chukka is must try dish that anyone can do and love it. Delicious recipe.
Ginger small piece-1
Tomato -3 small
Fennel seeds-1/2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Fresh Curry Leaves-4 Sprig
For the Grinding
Coriander seeds-1/2 tbsp
Curry Leaves-1 sprig
- Dry roast all the spices for grinding and make a fine curry powder.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add fennel seeds, curry leaves and red chillies.
- Add chopped ginger, garlic pieces and fry it.
- Add crushed shallots,cook it untill it turns to golden brown.
- Add salt,turmeric, ginger garlic paste,tomato puree and allow it to boil for few mins.
- Add the mutton pieces and mix it with the masala cook for few mins.
- When the oil separates, floats on the top and the gravy is thick,add the prepared curry powder and mix it well.
- Cover it and pressure cook for 3 whistles in a slow flame.
- Transfer the gravy into the pan, cook it uncover till it gets thicken.
- Garnish it with coriander leaves.Serve it hot with rice /roti.