Rava Dosa: – is a traditional south Indian dish usually prepared for the breakfast or dinner. It’s very healthy dish and very easy to prepare. Same process as idli –dosa batter, but instead of rice, we use sooji /semolina. You can prepare either thick or thin crispy dosa according to your taste. This dosa well goes with any sour or coconut related dishes like coconut chutney, tomato chutney, onion chutney and sambar. ___________________________________________________________________________
Recipe Cuisine: Indian; Preparation Time: 1 hr; Cooking Time: 20 mins; Makes: 25
Rava -3 cup
Urad dal – 1 cup
Rice -3 tbsp
Salt – 1 tbsp
- Wash and soak both rava and dal for the 3 hrs separately.
- Grind dal and rava separately. Grind the rava coarsely and urad dal to a smooth batter.
- Sprinkle water now and then.The consistency of the batter should neither be thin.
- Mix both the grounded rava and dal together. Add salt and leave it for the 7-8 hours for the fermentation.
- In winter it will take longer time, especially in Europe, US countries, you can use Oven to ferment
- Place the batter in a large container, as the batter will increase in its volume.
- After fermentation you can see the air pockets in the batter, mix it well.
- Heat a non stick tava, brush it with the oil.
- If you use same tava for the preparing roti’s cut an onion into half and rub it all over the tava to avoid dosa sticking to the tava.
- Take a ladle of batter, pour it in the center and spread it from the center of the skillet in a circular motion.
- Sprinkle oil around the dosa. When it is cooked, flip it over to the other side and cook till done.
- Serve it hot with chutney or sambar.